Tuesday, May 17, 2005

MOVIES : Ong Bak

If the idea of a Tut-Tut chase around the streets of Bangkok doesn't sound like something you want to see, then this probably isn't a film for you.
A fairly standard story line, some ordinary acting with a few extraordinary over-actors thrown in, and 2D characters all round, what could I possibly like about this film? The Muay Thai Kickboxing!
I've long considered Kickboxing to be the most effective street martial art there is, but not a pretty one. Was I wrong! This film highlighted the utterly deadly moves of this martial art, as well as the beautiful forms and stances of a very grounded fighting form. It reminds me of when I went to see the Misfits, they wore these huge boots that started at the knee and went out - imbuing them with a great sense of being 'grounded'. The earth cracking stomps of this film made for the same effect.
The other thing it did was change my view of Capoeira. While C is still a dance/martial art rather than a martial art/dance, I came to appreciate that many of the kicks I consider useless and only for show, can be very effective in the hands of a Kickboxer - so why not me as well?!!
Anyway, this is up there with Drunken Master 3 for me (though not as funny)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home