Friday, June 10, 2005

MOVIES : Sin City

A Clockwork Orange popularised a term that applies to this film : Ultra-Violence.
This film is ridiculously and stupidly violent. And I don't mean a guy mowing down 100 hundred others with a machine gun. I mean savouring torture.
A review I read said the stories were cliched. Fair call, but a cliche becomes a cliche because at some point it was good - so got copied lots - so it could be good again. In fact the film noir aspects of this moview were great - very stylish and sexy and I really enjoyed.
That same review said the movie was morally unambiguous. I guess this means you know who the goodies are and who the baddies are. I thought it was actually quite ambiguous, because I don't consider anyone to be a 'goody' if they delight in chopping a man's arms off in such a way that he is still alive, and then getting his dog to eat him (while still alive). That is an evil person, and yet his vendetta of vengence is presented in a 'goody' light - seems ambiguous or at least ambivilent to me.
And that is sort of the flavour of the film. I wouldn't see it. If you enjoyed it then you would know that you were a sick fuck, and otherwise you wouldn't enjoy it.
The most annoying thing is there were some aspects I loved about the film. The chic. The style. The black and white with flashes of colour. The ham acting, with voice overs.
Oh well.

1 Comments:

Blogger M said...

Margaret on the Movie Show last night said that she didn't like "house of wax" because it is so sadistic. but she gave "Sin City" 4 and a 1/2 stars. Go figure.

Then again, she said that "Hero" was touching and emotional, but "House of Flying Daggers" left her cold. amazing.

9:15 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home