Friday, June 10, 2005

MAGIC : Derren Brown

Wow. He really is amazing. Combining magic with mind tricks, and admitting it all as such (no claims to psychic powers here) Derren dumbfounds an audience for a whole night. I never thought I'd enjoy a magic show but I did.
Derren's biggest ace is his showmanship and charisma (Jo totally loves him) so when he performs the same glass walking trick as I saw a guy in Egypt do, he makes it that much better by claiming that he is going to cut off the flow of his blood (with nurse from audience verifying that his pulse has stopped) by asphyxiating himself first. And a good few minutes making sure that audience members are happy that the brand new broken glass is real.
Good stuff.
And Jo even got pulled up to slap him in the face! She had to get a tray, load it with buttons from a jar, cover it up, then hit him as hard as she could (which is why he got the nearest girl - otherwise it could have been me!) to 'inspire' him to be able to count the buttons really fast.
And when I say fast I mean fast! He basically just glances at the board, looks away and yells our a number. both times right - first time 69, second time (with board being moved around by Jo so the buttons are moving) 84. Amazing, I can't imagine there's a trick to that one. (Actually I just thought of one way, but it's quite involved and I am more inclined to believe he can count fast)
Anyway, I won't give any more away, just go see it! (If you're in London :)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home