Tuesday, June 10, 2008

What Netbook?

So, I really want a little laptop that has great battery life and is very small and light. I want to use it for reading my (already downloaded) web news on the train, and maybe a little bit of scripting. I don't want windows. I don't want to pay much. It would be cool if it had no moving parts.

Fortunately, Asus have created a new market (that may already have been there, but they really got it moving) with the EEE PC. Cheap, tiny, good battery life, SSD. My mate manages to run eclipse on it - and doesn't hang himself after a coupld of minutes, so it can't be all bad.

That said, the screen is miniscule, taking up a tiny part of the size of the laptop (the rest is for 'speakers'). The new EEE PC (900, 901, 1000) has a reasonable sized screen that doesn't actually increase the size of the laptop, just uses all the available space; great! but suddenly it's a little expensive.

That's ok, 'cos now there's heaps of contenders entering the market place. The ones I am most interested in are

  1. MSI Wind

    This little baby has a reasonable sized screen, good keyboard, ok ram, atom processor and ok price. Seems better that the 901, but is stuck with a moving HD

  2. Acer Aspire One

    This has, again, a reasonable screen, ok keyboard, crap ram, atom processor and GREAT price. Either SSD or HD (guess which for me). They also have more of a committment to Linux



So which to get? And when will they acutally become available, and how much will they cost. Get em out soon or I'll just have to get the EEE 900 right now!!!!

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

get a dell tiest

10:33 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home